Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Owl City, Sky Sailing


I think it's safe to say that Adam Young is a musical wizard! I discovered him under the moniker of Owl City back in 09 and fell in love with him shortly afterwards. He's one of those artists who are just plain different, the first time I listened to 'Fireflies' I didn't really know what to think of it but when I listened to it the second time I was surprised to find myself singing along to the chorus and smiling to myself; then and there I knew Adam Young was a friend. I think what gets me is that I love reading,

English and quirkiness and Adam could combine that all into one song! e.g. take 'Rugs From Me To You': Toupee or not toupee that is the question it refused to stay as it all turned grey Oh! William Shakespeare's receding hair! I love that in a world where music is just about glorifying sex, money and power; and music artists are losing their ability to actually use WORDS in their songs Adam enjoys putting in puns and using words like quip, insomnia and abode, which make people like me rush to find the nearest dictionary so as to enjoy the wittiness of his lyrics.
Well while I have been sitting around with a smug smile on my face, listening to Owl City, shy Mr. Young has decided to make an album of some of his previous work which he humbly admits he made in his parent's basement while they were away (better than having a wild party and getting drunk hey?). These recordings were created in between working at the Coca Cola factory loading trucks! The one track that has caught my utmost attention is a sweet, mellow love song by the name of 'Brielle'; I think the first time I listened to it I was in too much in shock from the difference between Adam's cute electronic beeps and the amazing acoustics I was hearing, the second time I listened to it I had shivers down my spine and the third I nearly cried! Please give Sky Sailing a listening http://www.myspace.com/skysailing

No comments:

Post a Comment